Nassau County Golf: Public Courses, Private Style
Nassau County's golf operations are among the most extensive of any municipality in the Northeast, consisting of three 18-hole courses, four 9-holes, three driving rages and two mini-golf courses, with locations stretching from North to South Shore.
The largest facility is conveniently located in the center of the county in East Meadow, in 930-acre Eisenhower Park, and includes 18-hole courses, a driving range and a mini-golf complex. Golf Digest magazine has included the championship-level Red course at the Eisenhower Park golf facility among its "Four Stars Best Places to Play 2008/2009," recognition granted to a select number of courses throughout the U.S. Newsday has called it the fourth-best public course on Long Island. The Long Island Press has included the entire Eisenhower Park golf facility among its "Best of Long Island" public courses.
Pro golfers who have played the Red course as part of the Senior PGA Tour have sung its praises, including 2005 Champions Tour winner Mike Reid, who summed up his views of the Red for Newsday by calling it "a marvelous course in its simplicity, that's what impresses me about it. It doesn't put on any airs, it just requires good golf from the first tee to the 18th green."
Loren Roberts, the 2008 winner, also praised the Red as a PGA favorite and told Newsday the course is "the deal of the century" when he learned about the fees. The two other 18-hole courses at Eisenhower Park, the White and Blue, were granted three stars ("very good") by Golf Digest. The park's three 18-hole public golf courses are among the busiest on Long Island. Improvements have included the ongoing redesign of courses (often in consultation with PGA officials), dozens of new bunkers, a new irrigation system, and even new and colorful scorecards. One result is that the White course has now been brought up to championship status.
The County also offers four nine-hole courses with varying degrees of difficulty On the North Shore,Christopher Morley Park provides a small but hilly course in a beautiful tree-lined setting in Roslyn-North Hills. The dimensions on the par-30 course range from the 300-yard seventh hole to the 97-yard eighth hole. The course at Cantiague Park, centrally located in Hicksville, is flat, open and easy to walk, with five holes of 200 yards or more.
On the South Shore by the water, North Woodmere Park's course, at 2,282 yards, is the largest of the nine holes, with four holes over 300 yards. Golfers enjoy the flat course for its longer yardages but also for its ease of play. Like North Woodmere, Bay Park's golf course is located by the water but provides slightly more terrain, with two holes (five and nine) over 300 yards.
The golf courses are complemented by three driving ranges, the largest of which is in Eisenhower Park, and two mini-golf courses, including two beautiful 18-hole courses in Eisenhower Park.
Eisenhower Golf (9 and 18 hole) Eisenhower Park
East Meadow, Merrick Avenue south of Stewart Avenue
Eisenhower features three excellent 18-hole golf courses (Leisure Pass and fee required) open to the public: the Red, White and Blue courses. In addition, the park has an illuminated driving range; call 572-0336.
Nassau County provides 9-hole golf courses at four parks:
- Bay Park, located in the Southwest corner of the county. Call 516-571-7242.
- Cantiague Park, centrally located off the Northern State Parkway. Call 516-571-7061.
- Christopher Morley Park, centrally located in Roslyn-North Hills, just north of the Long Island Expressway. Call 516-571-8120.
- North Woodmere Park, located in the Southwest corner of Nassau County. Call 516-571-7814.
The Nassau County Parks Department offers three driving ranges that provide late hours in season:
- Cantiague Park, centrally located off the Northern State Parkway in Hicksville. Call 516-571-7082.
- Eisenhower Park, centrally located off the Meadowbrook Parkway in East Meadow. Call 516-572-0336.
- North Woodmere Park, located in the Southwest corner of Nassau County. Call 516-571-7801.
The Nassau County Parks Department offers two mini-golf facilities:
- Eisenhower Park, centrally located off the Meadowbrook Parkway, provides two large and beautifully landscaped mini-golf courses, "Mountainside" and "Overlook," with a waterfall and other attractions. The course has been named "Best of Long Island" by News 12 Long Island. The course is open from April through November, seven days a week; hours vary by season. Fees are $4 for children and seniors and $7 for adults. Call 516-572-0407
- Cantiague Park, centrally located off the Northern State Parkway, has a small 18-hole mini-golf courses located by the driving range. The course is open from April through November, seven days a week; hours vary by season. Fees are $4 for children and seniors and $7 for adults. Call 516-571-7082.