Who Must Be Licensed?

"Home Improvement" means repair, maintenance, replacement, remodeling, alteration, conversion, modernization, or addition to any land or building, or that portion thereof, which is used as a private residence or dwelling place for not more than three families, and other improvements to structures or upon land which is adjacent to a dwelling, and shall include, but not be limited to, the installation, construction, replacement or improvement of driveways, swimming pools, porches, garages, sheds, central heating or air conditioning systems, vacuum cleaning systems, windows and awnings, sandblasting, power washing, waterproofing, floor refinishing, chimney cleaning, interior and/or exterior painting, carpet installation, and gardening/landscaping, when the gardener/landscaper uses his/her own equipment in the conduct of his/her business and uses his/her vehicle to transport such equipment.

Who Must Be Licensed? 
OCA issues licenses to contractors conducting home improvement business in Nassau County. Home Improvement is a broad term that includes, but is not limited to the following areas of work:

  • air conditioning & heating systems
  • carpentry work
  • ceramic tile & marble installers
  • cesspool builders & cleaners
  • chimney/fireplace builders, repairs, cleaners
  • doors, windows, awnings
  • dry wall contractors
  • fences and railings
  • fire escape stairs & ladders
  • floor installation & refinishing (including sub-floors)
  • garage builders
  • general contractors
  • insulation contractors
  • lawn irrigation contractors
  • masonry work
  • painting contractors
  • paving and driveway seal coating
  • power washers & sandblasters
  • reglazing/porcelain refinishing
  • retaining wall contractors
  • roofing contractors
  • sewer cleaners
  • siding installation
  • swimming pool (building, installing and maintenance)
  • tree surgery
  • vacuum cleaner central systems
  • waterproofing
  • well drilling

For more information or a copy of the actual LAW, call (516) 571-3871 or come in person to the Office of Consumer Affairs at 240 Old Country Road , Mineola, NY 11501. View the Law online.