How to Appeal Your Assessment
If you pay taxes on property in Nassau County you have the right to appeal your property’s annual assessment. The Assessment Review Commission – ARC – will review your application.
There is a new assessment for each year. The time to appeal a new assessment ends before the taxes based on that assessment are billed. If you disagree with the most recent assessment, appeal it, even if you are awaiting determination of an appeal you filed last year.
If you want ARC to review your property's assessment, appeal between January 2 ,2017 and March 1, 2017.
- The application requires only basic information about your property. You can file online.
- You are not required to use an attorney. If you hired a representative to challenge a prior assessment, you are free to change representatives or file for yourself for review of the new assessment.
- The Assessment Review Commission may reduce your assessment as appropriate.
- The Assessment Review Commission will never increase the assessment.
- You should decide whether to appeal the new assessment by comparing the Department of Assessment’s adjusted market value with your own estimate of your property’s current market value.
- The Assessment Review Commission may also correct your tax class and hear your appeal if you were denied an exemption.
- There is no fee to file with ARC.
Do not sign duplicate authorizations. Many grievance services seek an authorization in advance of the filing period. If you decide to represent yourself, do not sign an authorization for a grievance service or other representative. If you decide to hire a representative, do not sign authorizations for more than one.
Do not appeal for yourself this year if you have signed an authorization for a representative to file for you after September 1, 2016, or if you own a condominium where the board of managers files for you.
Assessment Review on the Web
Between January 2, 2017 and March 1, 2017 you may appeal online. You may file an online appeal for any type of property, including commercial property, and any type of claim, including errors in your property’s tax class or exemptions.
ARC ’s online Sales Locator is available to help you evaluate the accuracy of the new assessment for your home. You may go on to file an appeal using the recent sales you select as support for your requested assessment reduction.
If you file for yourself, you may check your appeal’s status on-line at any time. You may also look up the status of appeals for past tax years.
To start using Assessment Review on the Web, click on the link below: